You are a character in your life story, but are you playing the lead role?
Without realizing it – and based on a lifetime of constant, negative re-editing – your perception of yourself may not be particularly positive.
So, what can you do to reclaim the lead role in your life story?
- Realize a life story with all the good bits edited out tends to give an unfair impression of all doom and gloom.
- Respect your efforts – by appreciating what you do well.
- Keep a diary to record examples of when you received a compliment, or were praised, or when you felt good about something you did or said.
- Be aware of negative self-talk.
- Reject negative thinking as it happens. One way to do this is to mentally say ‘STOP!’ whenever a negative thought pops into your mind.
‘…whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace with your soul.’ [Quote: Max Ehrmann]
Copyright uncapIdeas 2017